Thursday 25 April 2019

back at the dye-pots

Wayhey, I'm dyeing wool again! My North Ronaldsay wool order finally arrived last month but I was a bit slow getting near it as I spent some time setting up a dedicated dyeing space, separate from my painting. I've spent just over a week in my new space and it's much more efficient, I love it.

Here are the first few batches to come out of my pots:


There are four 100g skeins of each colour available at the moment. They're all North Ronaldsay 2ply pure wool, which works up like a fingering weight/4ply.

Somewhat typically my digital pocket scales broke as soon as I went to use them (to weigh out dye powders) so I couldn't refer to any previous colour "recipes." As a result these batches are one-off colour mixes, although I plan to recreate them once I get new scales as I really like how they turned out.

 "wet sand"

 "crashing waves, Hoxa"

"midsummer sunrise"

"blue Horizon, Hoxa"

 "Sand O' Wright beach"

"Birsay shoreline"

 "Warbeth rocks"

More colours to come soon! I also ordered some North Ronaldsay aran weight wool which I'm looking forward to dyeing.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, those are gorgeous colour combinations. I think my favourite is Midsummer Sunrise, but I love the subtelty of Birsy shoreline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! At the moment I think my favourite is crashing waves, but that's likely because it was the most recent one to come out the dye pot!

      Delete